- A majority of Americans want mask mandates lifted permanently or only put in place when case counts are high, and four in five say case counts locally are “low” or “moderate.”
- More than half of Americans have not worn a mask in an unrequired situation in the last month as just one in three say a close friend or family member has had coronavirus in the last month.
- While a majority of Americans are attending gatherings with friends or family like they were pre-pandemic, most Americans continue to at least weigh coronavirus when it comes to traveling or going out to events such as concerts, sporting events, or the movies.
Slight Uptick in Share of Americans Who Say the “Worst Is Over” in the Pandemic
Since mid-July, the share who say “the worst is over” has increased by 5 points (50% to 55%).
A Plurality Only Want Mask Mandates When Cases are High As Four in Five Say Local Cases Are Low or Moderate
Almost seven in ten (69%) Americans say mask mandates should be lifted permanently or only kept in place when cases are high; just one in four (24%) say mandates should be in place “until the end of the pandemic.”
- More than four in five (84%) say coronavirus cases in their community are “low” or “moderate,” including 87% of independents.
In the Last Month, Only Two in Five Have Worn an Unrequired Mask and One in Three Have Had a Loved One Get Infected
There is a partisan divide on mask wearing, with Republicans much more likely to say the last time they wore an unrequired mask was “more than a month ago” (72%) and Democrats more likely to say “within the last month” (59%).
- Majorities across every partisan and racial group say it has been over a month since they learned a loved one was infected.
Fewer Than One in Six Are Avoiding Family Gatherings Due to Pandemic Fears, One in Four Events Like Concerts or Travel
More than a quarter of Americans say they have avoided going to concerts, sporting events, or the movies (29%) or traveling (26%) due to fears about coronavirus, driven mostly by Democrats (38% avoiding events, 31% avoiding travel because of coronavirus).