- Though Biden’s approval ratings are underwater, ratings of Republicans in Congress are more deeply so with abortion and Trump dominating the negative things Americans are hearing about them.
- Two in three are uneasy about the state of American democracy, and while the same share is confident their past and future ballots have been/will be counted correctly and fairly, still one in three are not confident.
- The Democratic Party brand is strongest on doing what is best for the country and standing up for the middle class, while Republicans hold advantages on valuing hard work and keeping Americans safe.
Biden Underwater Overall and on the Economy, But Republicans in Congress Have Lower Approval Rating
Republicans in Congress are 10-points more deeply underwater on approval (-22 net approval) than the president (-12). Independents rate Republicans in Congress more negatively than they do Biden (net -41 Biden, net -47 Republicans in Congress).
Nearly Three in Five Americans Disapprove of Republicans in Congress, With Emphasis on Abortion and Trump
As Republicans in Congress are 22 points underwater, the main negatives Americans recall on them include their support for abortion bans, their fealty to Trump, their involvement/support for the actions that took place on January 6th, 2021, and “rights” being taken away
Among Those Registered to Vote, GOP Lead Among Those Concerned About Economy and Not Abortion
Among the 53% of Americans who say jobs and the economy or inflation are among their top issues and say abortion is not, a generic Republican leads by 24 points; among the other 47% of Americans, a generic Democrat leads by 35 points.
Supporters of Each Party Say Their Vote Is About Supporting Their Own Party, Not Just Voting Against the Opposition
Overwhelming majorities of those voting for a Republican candidate (82%) and those voting for a Democratic candidate (79%) say their vote is a vote for their chosen candidate’s party, not against the opposing candidate’s party.
Americans Report Feeling “Hopeful,” “Uneasy” About Election
Independents report feeling “uneasy,” while Republicans (54%) and Democrats (50%) are hopeful most of all in thinking about the upcoming elections this year.
Three in Ten Americans Have Volunteered in Politics, Attended Events, or Donated to Political Candidates or Organizations
Three in four have talked or posted about politics since Biden was elected (76%). On more high-intensity engagement like volunteering, attending events, or donating, 36% of Democrats have done this compared to just 26% of Republicans and 17% of independents.
Nearly Two in Three Uneasy About American Democracy
Bipartisan majorities are uneasy about the state of American democracy today, with independents (76%) and Republicans (76%) particularly uneasy though 52% of Democrats say the same.
While Most Are Confident in Past/Future Ballots, Still a Third of Americans Do Not Think Ballots Are Counted Fairly
Republicans are the most pessimistic about their ballot in the previous election (55% not confident) and future elections (47% not confident) being counted correctly and fairly, though 38% of independents are also not confident about past ballots and 42% about future ballots.
Most Feel the Election Has Ramifications for Them and Their Family, and One in Three Say “Significant”
Republicans (76% impact) and Democrats (72%) are each more likely than independents (59%) to say the midterm elections will have an impact on the lives of them and their family. Two in five of each say it will have a significant impact (36% of Democrats, 41% Republicans).
Slightly Greater Share Say Republicans Focused on Wrong Things, Though Neither Party Endears Much Faith
Both parties are underwater by roughly 20 points among independents on the measure (net -21 right things on the Democratic Party, net -20 right things on the Republican Party). Views of the Republican Party’s focus have declined by 23 points among Hispanics.
The Democratic Brand Is Strongest on Doing What Is Best For the Country and Standing Up for the Middle Class
Americans see both parties as trying to do what is best for the country (+10 describes Democrats well, +8 describes Republicans well).
About The Study
Global Strategy Group conducted public opinion surveys among a sample of 1,000 registered voters from October 20-October 24, 2022. 100 additional interviews were conducted among Hispanic voters. 78 additional interviews were conducted among Asian American and Pacific Islander voters. 100 additional interviews were conducted among African American voters. 104 additional interviews were conducted among independent voters.